Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ol Reliable and the dead guy

So, I've mentioned in previous blog entries that Angry Pony has been in seclusion away from the road so that I can't see him for some time now.  I know he is with the other horses and that he is experiencing the joy of children giving him attention, but I miss him.  I think it is possible we have been apart too long, or maybe I need a new muse for my writing.  Tonight, on the way home, it came to me who my new muse is.  It is a horse in another pasture, a little closer to my house.  He has been in that pasture for as long as I can remember and he is old.  I mean, really old. He has a sway back and he is usually a little on the thin side despite good pasture and hay in the winter (how come I don't get skinnier as I get older?).  His coat isn't as shiny as it once was, his eyes are a little more sunken.  Will and I call him Ol Reliable.  Whenever we go by, we look to make sure he is still alive.  Like his presence affirms everything is okay in the world. 

The more I thought about my new muse, the more I think it is a good fit.  He's old.  I'm getting old.  His body ain't what it used to be, and hello, if you read my blog at all, you know that my body sure as hell isn't what it once was. Oh, it's still fat, but it doesn't work like it used to.  Ol Reliable likes to stand in his pasture with his head hanging low looking sad.  I could be Sad Pony instead of Angry Pony?  Nah, I can't give up on Angry Pony. 

Maybe I'm particularly drawn to old things today after the text message I received on my cell phone while at work.  I'm sitting there, minding my own business and my phone buzzes.  I look at it and it is from a number I do not know and it is a picture of some old guy lying in a hospital bed with a flower arrangement draped over his chest and his hand has been awkwardly placed over it.  He looks dead.  He might be dead.  If he is dead, why would someone take a picture of that and send it to anyone?  I sent a message back saying, "who is this?" I got a message back saying, "oops, wrong number."  Ooops indeed.  So, then, I start getting calls from people I don't know.  News flash, I have no information on the old guy being used as a decorative centerpiece for the hospital bed.

Then, I started thinking, what if this is like the movie Final Destination and I was somehow linked to this death? What if I cheated death today and death comes looking? What if?  You people know how my mind works, this could be bad.  I'm not trying to bring anything on here, I'm just hypothesizing about what the universe could be telling me. I'm going to have to be very careful the next little bit and keep my eyes open for anything that might kill me.  Wait, no, this won't work because almost every day I utter the words, "you people are killing me!" at work.  I guess if I haven't kicked it at work, I guess I'm probably safe.  Although, Will did make kabobs for dinner tonight and those skewers do look sharp.  What if I get up and walk into the kitchen, fall and then kabob myself?  My word, I'm not safe anywhere.  Damn the dead guy text!!!

I clearly need to sleep on this and maybe see how I feel after driving by Ol Reliable in the morning...if I make it through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Work: Letter to my body

 It's been a while since I have blogged.  The downtime has been a time of learning, healing and accepting.   Through the Ambassador prog...