Friday, March 6, 2015

Appreciation Day

Appreciation by definition means: 
1. gratitude; thankful recognition:
They showed their appreciation by giving him a gold watch.
2. the act of estimating the qualities of things and giving them their proper value.
3. clear perception or recognition, especially of aesthetic quality:
a course in art appreciation. 
4. an increase or rise in the value of property, goods, etc.
5. critical notice; evaluation; opinion, as of a situation, person, etc.
 
Today was "Employee Appreciation Day."  We weren't making a huge production about it, but several people had gone to great lengths to pick a gift, order enough for all the employees in each location and to arrange for point of contacts at each location to distribute and make it a special surprise.  This is not a small task but it is one that was well-executed by several of my admin peers and myself.  Not really an "appreciation day" for the people doing all the work, but it goes with the job title.  We do it because someone has to and we are paid to do it.  Our leaders ask us and trust us to take care of these things.  To have that trust is both a privilege and a burden.
 
My boss wanted to add some "pizazz" and have it be an extra special day, which apparently means a balloon arch.  When you have a boss that likes balloons, there is hardly an occasion that doesn't qualify for a balloon arch.  It really just says, "You are amazing! Walk under this arch of happiness!" To the person making it, it really just says, "Mother trucking clips, damn skinny, invisible effing wire, stupid balloons..." and a range of other cuss words. Nonetheless, I am paid to support my boss and the center, so if she wants an MF'ing balloon arch, she gets one.  And, I know she appreciates it.  I do this for her, without malice or ill-will...but admittedly, a lot of cussing.
 
So, all that aside, no one has an effing clue it is Employee Appreciation Day today.  I can guarantee it.  I know tons of people that went to work at other companies today and DID NOT see a fucking balloon arch.  That's a fact, Jack.  Bet on it. Take it to the bank.  Our employees, on the other hand?  They experience the magic of my balloon arch!  They come in questioning what's up, making cute little jokes about how special the balloon arch is, etc.  Mission accomplished.
 
Cuteness wears off quickly as I am taking the gifts to different department managers to hand out to their employees before we get started on handing out to ours.  As I'm walking I hear someone say, "So, when are we going to be appreciated?  What do we get?  Usually we get coffee or food or something."  I said to this person, jokingly, "So, my appreciation email and the balloon arch aren't enough?"  She says, "No, I want money."  I'm seriously irritated.  I respond, "You know, some gifts have a value that transcends money."  She says, "Not for me."  Okay, first off, I get it could have been a bigger deal, it could have been a coffee and donuts thing, but you know what?  People wouldn't have liked the coffee, or couldn't drink it, or they can't have donuts because they can't have sugar or gluten or they are on a diet.  So, still, you can't make everyone happy.  I tried to shake it off, but her words just pissed me off. It's apparently actually "Un-Appreciation Day."

My boss was finally ready to pass the little gifts out.  She ventured out on her own and I prayed she didn't hear that crap from other people.  It wasn't long and I received an email from one of the more cynical employees that never talks to me unless he wants to complain about something.  He informs me that he wants to know where his sandwich is.  I respond back to him that it never fails, it's never enough.  He responds back that he wants to exchange his gift.  I inform him I want to exchange him for someone that doesn't complain.  He then gets pissy with me because how can I not just take his joking and thoughts as his right?  I thusly asked him to put himself in my shoes.  Every reward, recognition or appreciation event is somehow my responsibility, so I am always hearing the negative "why did you order pizza from Pizza Hut and not Papa Johns? " or vice versa.  "How come there are no vegan options?"  "How come you got Diet Coke instead of Diet Pepsi?"  "I'm gluten intolerant, there is nothing for me here..."  And the list goes on and on.  I asked him if he were in my spot how he would feel about people only bringing up how it isn't good enough.  Funny, I never got a response back after that.  Don't challenge me you little Asshat.  You don't ever talk to me to say anything nice.  I'm done with YOU people.  You negative unappreciative people.

So we didn't shower you with money or gift cards.  So we didn't buy you lunch.  So you only got a little gift of appreciation.  Oh, you think it is a slap in the face for all you do?  Really?  You want us to show monetarily how much we appreciate you?  Look at your fucking paycheck!  How about that?!  You wouldn't have thought anything about this day if we hadn't given you a little gift, but now that we have, you are outraged because it wasn't enough.  Wow. Just...Wow.  I mean, don't even stop to consider any of the other rewards you have been given in the past six months or so.  There are at least TWO major parties I have organized for YOU people.  There have been many other smaller events that have involved me going the extra mile to make sure you get free coffee or drinks or snacks or WHATEVER, so it isn't like you NEVER get appreciated.  But those events don't mean anything because on this day, this Appreciation Day we didn't bend over and kiss your ass and hand you a $100 gift card.  You know what?  Sorry we did ANYTHING for you. And, you do your job so flawlessly that you deserve the royal treatment?  No.  We all work hard.  And, yes, there are days you feel like you get kicked in the teeth and you don't even so much as get a "thanks for coming in today" from your boss.  I get it.  I do.  But today, a little gift, a little kindness, a little smile and you show yourself to be selfish and unappreciative.  Shame on you.  Doesn't mean I love everything this company stands for, and yes, I bitch about stuff, but I don't bitch when someone does something nice for me.  Something unexpected. Something that they put some thought into.
 
I will say, not everyone was unappreciative.  It was actually, only a few. But, as in most cases, the few ruin it for the majority.  In my mind, they tarnished the experience for me.  Most people appreciated their little gifts and it made them smile.  They get it.  I like those people.  The others...well, they incur the wrath of Angry Pony, Admin Edition.

This whole day is a great reminder to myself, who often sees the glass half-empty and often gets wrapped up in the things I don't have or have not achieved. It's a great reminder to focus on the things I do have and not the things I do not.  So, thank you, to the selfish asshats that remind me to be appreciative.  I appreciate you...in all your selfish splendor.

Tonight's blog edition is in response to someone concerned I had not blogged in several days.  To Mrs. Sassy Pants...there it is.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Work: Letter to my body

 It's been a while since I have blogged.  The downtime has been a time of learning, healing and accepting.   Through the Ambassador prog...